In the past women had been taught to think that lifting weights will make you bulky or masculine. It wasn’t until recently that we began to dabble in light toning and strength training. The beauty of strength training is that you are always in control of how and what you want to look like. It is important to have a systematic way of strength training that is both sustainable and safe. Systematic, safe weight training means lifting an appropriate amount of weight while applying the proper repetitions through the full range of motion. This is how my clients and class will move into weight lifting in the coming month. I encourage everyone to take a reputable fitness class or work with a certified fitness trainer to ensure a proper training protocol when doing strength training. In the meantime, here are some tips for the proper way to begin a strength training program with weights:
- Begin with light weights, high repetitions and full range of motion. Moving through the exercise with weights in the full range of motion is how to prep the ligaments, joints and tendons.
- All workouts should be full-body. Encompassing low-body, upper-body and abdominal work.
- Back and Biceps, Chest and Triceps. Don’t forget legs and core. Although I advocate full-body workouts be specific as to how you group your exercises.
- The heart is a muscle too. Begin or end your workout with some form of exercise that is solely to increase your heart-rate, i.e a pre-workout run, 20 minutes on the bike after etc.
- Slightly increase either in volume of intensity every 3 to 4 weeks. This is sure you are accomplishing steady gains.
Begin your strength journey with the Piedmont Park Conservancy and Love You Healthy’s LIFT classes! Learn More
Guest Post by Saidah Jones, Love You Healthy