Apple Pecan Salad
Try this simple salad recipe! Great recipe for a snack, picnic, or a light lunch. For an extra protein kick, top with tuna or white fish!
Tools: paring knife, vegetable peeler, cutting board, rubber spatula, and spoon
- 4 large apples (crisp varieties)
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup pecans
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp horseradish
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- Peel, core and dice apples.
- Dice onion into fine pieces.
- Chop pecans in to small pieces.
- Mix: Apples, onions pecans, and horseradish.
- Add mayo, vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.
- Let sit in refrigerator for at least an hour before eating.
Spicy Apple Sauce
A nice kick to an old favorite, try making this spicy apple sauce at home!
Tools: Paring knife, vegetable peeler, large sauce pan, hand mixer, citrus press, rubber spatula and large spoon
- 5 – Large apples (crisp tart varieties work best)
- 2 tbsp ginger
- 2 habanero or paper lantern peppers
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 lemon
- Salt (course)
- 1 tbsp cinnamon (optional)
- Peal, core and chop apples into small pieces.
- Grate ginger
- Cut, remove seeds, and dice peppers into small pieces.
- Grate lemon peel until you have about 2 tbsp, and squeeze lemon juice into measuring cup
- Add apples, grated ginger, peppers, sugar, grated lemon peel, ¼ cup lemon juice, and 3 tbsp salt to sauce pan on medium heat.
- Stir and watch until the apples start to break down (about 15 mins).
- Turn heat to medium low and let simmer for 30 mins or until mixture becomes mushy.
- Turn heat off. Add cinnamon if desired.
- Stir and let cool with lid on for about 20 mins.
- Next, use hand mixer on medium speed to puree mixture.
- Put apple sauce in a jar or bowl with a lid and refrigerate until cold.
Apple sauce will hold for at least 2 weeks in the refrigerator.