People have been swimming at Piedmont Park since before the original wooden bathhouse was built in 1911. That wooden bathhouse was replace by the current granite bathhouse in 1927. It contained men's and women's dressing room, a snack bar, and seating overlooking the pool and lake. Today, that bathhouse, Greystone, is a 9,000 square feet of LEED-certified event space.
Swimming in the lake and an enclosed portion of the lake was popular until the early 1970's, when the lake was closed to swimming due to health concerns. In 1973, in response to the public's love of swimming in the Park, a swimming pool was built. The new Piedmont Park Aquatic Center replaces that old pool.
Below are a few historic postcards and photographs of swimming the Park.
Wooden Bathhouse with Lake Swimming and Boating
Granite Bathhouse and Gazebo Built in 1927 with Lake and Pool Swimming
Lake and Pool Swimming with Giant Double Slide
1927 Bathhouse with 1973 Swimming Pool
1973 Swimming Pool and Gazebo
1973 Swimming Pool and Clara Meer